A classroom is a place where students learn everything about the world. The furniture most commonly found in a classroom is a desk, green board or whiteboard, chair, computer stand, etc. The teacher’s table with a chair is a common piece of furniture found in all classrooms and a cupboard is another essential furniture to store items required for academics. In recent times, classrooms have been built based on the collaborative learning curriculum that revolves around children working together for creating posters, videos, reports, and solving open-ended problems. Thus, you have to choose the right school furniture manufacturer who can create functional and comfortable furniture to help focus more on learning. Only when the needs of students are satisfied, do they get into their comfort zone and complete work on time. In the article below, let us see about the classroom furniture and how they serve students and teachers.
Classroom Furniture Ideas for Students
A classroom is where students spend most of their time. It is essential to have a functional classroom to make the students more productive. Comfortable classroom furniture enhances the attentiveness of students, which is the key to success. Flexible classroom furniture serves the timely needs of various circumstances and can be arranged in various forms.
As tables are the ideal starting point for classroom planning, given below is a list of table options to fit any classroom atmosphere.
- Simple table designs are best for small groups. It is easy to work while reading and writing without any complex features.
- Tables in various shapes create a productive environment by serving the needs of any classroom.
- Collaborative table designs allow flexibility in working either in groups or individually. As mobility is a vital feature for furniture in a collaborative learning classroom, consider optional casters for tables or desks.
- Multipurpose tables help when configuring and adjusting the classroom to meet evolving needs. An example of a multipurpose table is the interchangeable table design that allows recreating the classroom space to suit the student’s activities.
- A foldable training table allows anyone to reconfigure the space based on the classroom activity or learning environment.
- Height-adjustable tables are a comfortable fit for students of any height.
- Additional tables in special areas of the classroom will give extra space for students for computer work and writing activities.
Classroom Desks & Chairs
Students need desks and chairs which are of the right size. It will be difficult to do regular school work if furniture is too big or small. There are a few options available for customizing desks and chairs for classroom needs, and they are:
- Desks with wheels help students shift from one position to another easily. Moving places helps students focus better in class and move into groups effortlessly during the breakout sessions.
- Desks that contain storage underneath the chair will keep the classroom free from books, backpacks, and other items. It gives better flexibility for students to form clusters and serves every storage requirement of the classroom.
- Adjustable sit-stand desks and simple sit-stand desks improve the students’ performance in active learning. The sit-stand desk offers the option to stand or sit individually and is a perfect option for a classroom that is not yet ready for new desks. In contrast, an adjustable sit-stand desk is ideal if you are looking for a permanent desk and allows students to move the desk up and down without moving the books or other belongings.
Also Read: An Overview of Classroom Furniture
Classroom Furniture Ideas for Teachers
As the classroom layout differs from one to another based on the teaching purpose, the furniture placed in a classroom must complement its surroundings. The colour of classroom furniture is usually black, brown, blue, or red to look professional.
Teachers in a classroom will need desks with drawers to organize their stuff and store essential items. Cabinets for books are optional classroom furniture for storage. The other different classroom furniture which is of great use to teachers are:
- Simple shelves like basic wire shelving from any hardware store are ideal for storing supplies, projects, and books. Plastic and wooden shelves are also good options.
- Cabinets are an invaluable resource that allow for sorting and storing items. It is best to segregate the work done by students into cabinets, so that re-distributing can be done without hassle.
- Baskets, boxes, and bins are best for storing various classroom essentials. Bins allow stacking and also provide great access to the contents.
Desks are also ideal for storage when they are installed with cabinets. A few of the other desk options for teachers are stated below.
- A simple desk for teachers is beneficial while lecturing. If the desk has a built-in tower, it will also serve a two-in-one function.
- A desk with wheels offers great classroom flexibility as it can be easily moved from one place to another while changing the layout.
- A desk paired with a chair is a great option to provide great support, and when they are adjustable, it offers immense comfort for the staff.
Also Read: Ways to Design a Great School Auditorium
Essential Features for Classroom Furniture
As a part of the overall education strategy, the classroom learning environment impacts the student’s performance. Therefore, educators are giving more consideration to classroom furniture and its design. The right furniture complements the curriculum and improves the student experience. Let us discuss a few of the must-have features of classroom furniture.
- The classroom furniture must be age-centric. If the students are of different ages or sizes in a room, the desks must have an adjustable feature to aid the learning process effectively and render great comfort for the students.
- Flexibility is another important criterion that helps students to move around easily. Flexible furniture is essential for every STEM lab to improve the learning process by making the environment comfortable.
- Based on the curriculum, the classroom has to be creative. Using tabletops made of whiteboard materials provides students a place to note down the ideas in the middle of a problem-solving session. The table shape and colourful furniture develop a better atmosphere for creativity.
- Designing the space with adequate power capabilities for a technology-infused classroom is another essential feature in today’s world. If students are capable and allowed to use Wi-Fi connectivity, the above-mentioned latest innovation will see incredible changes in the learning environment.
- As furniture is designed to stay for a long time, it is best to consider suppliers who offer an extended warranty.
- Storage solutions play a significant role while designing classroom furniture, which will maximize the classroom space and make it more accessible.
- Affordability is a major concern as it does not make any sense to spend the entire budget on just chairs and tables. Therefore, it is required to look into cost-effective options.
It is a well-known fact that school furniture must be user-friendly and sturdy. Thus, when made of durable materials, it helps save money in the long run. Inspace Furniture Solutions is a leading school furniture manufacturer in Tamilnadu. We blend the aesthetics and functionality of classroom furniture with perfect balance. Our products stand out from the others by offering customizations to suit your school’s requirements and needs.